There are millions of websites on the world wide web, and more are being added on a daily basis. If you're online, your competitors are too. What are you doing to make sure that your customers find your site first?
Marketer's worldwide may disagree on some things, but one thing all the experts agree on is that a website's SEO strategy is the first and most important part of good online marketing.
What is Search Engine Optimization? (SEO)
Search Engine Optimization is the process of setting up a website to rank highly in the search engines for specific keywords and phrases. An SEO optimized site is designed to be friendly to both search engines and humans. The mechanics of search engine's are complicated, but basically the search engines use computer alogarithms called "spiders”, or “bots" that trawl the web indexing websites so that they can be called upon and displayed in the search results when they are deemed relevant to a user's query.
The majority of web user's today use search engines to find what they are looking for. Even when they know the URL of your website, chances are that they will still search for your website via their search provider. It's the way of the web, and if your website is not ranking within the first page or two within the search results, your website won't reach it's optimum potential.
How can you benefit from SEO?
A Search Engine Optimized site will help your site to be picked up by Google and other search engines and will increase your rankings in the organic/natural search results. Ranking well on organic searches also lends credibility to your paid search campaigns, because your website will apear to be a leader in the field that the searcher is interested in.
If nothing else your website needs a good search engine optimisation strategy. Some of the advantages of optimisation are:
- Improved rankings within the search results;
- Increased traffic to your site;
- Finding 'qualified leads' ie users who are genuinly interested in your products and are actively looking for solutions to their problems.
An SEO expert can help guide you through the minefield and help you avoid costly mistakes that will make your website unattractive to Google and the other major search operators.
They can help you optimise your site by:
- Doing keywords analysis
- Contextualising keywords within your website
- Creating site-maps and submitting these to the search engines
- Finding the balance between human/computer legibility
- Building backlinks to your site
- Avoiding so called “black hat” techniques that will make your website unnatractive to the search engine's bots
- Advanced search optimisation, including location based search and video rankings.
SEO is a rich and complicated field, but the time, money and effort invested in optimizing your website will be well worth it's weight in gold.